Monday, October 29, 2007

I suppose I should introduce myself...

Mmmm... turkey leg...

What?

::swallows quickly::

Hi! Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Cara, I'm a 25yr old Fed living in Alexandria, working in Arlington. I work full-time for the EPA, part-time for an animal shelter, and am going to grad school part time at GMU. I'm single, a Leo, my favorite color is green, and... oh - this isn't quite the type of introduction you were looking for, eh?

Let's start over. I'm Cara, and I used to be exercise-phobic. Well, more so, have exercise ADD. For my whole life I had yet to stick to regular exercise for more than a couple of months (not counting gym class!) I had tried crew, dancing, swimming, running, weight training, martial arts, and yoga - none of which I was able to commit to. I never did organized sports because I'm not very competitive or athletic, and I didn't want to disappoint a team.

On Monday, July 23rd, I decided to try out Crossfit Challenge Alexandria. And this is what I did:
Hah! Just kidding. That's what everyone else did - I did a circuit of squats, push-ups (modified), and sit-ups. I had an anxiety attack in the middle, but I finished the work-out Jerry gave to me, and I came back that Wed. And that Friday. Soon I started the Barbell Class as well and am now coming to Crossfit 5xs a week.

I'm addicted. I'm addicted to exercise. I don't think I can fully describe how this simple fact continues to amaze me.

My goal is simple: I want to be able to consider myself athletic. I have never been athletic in my life. Running a mile has always been a challenge for me. I've never done a full push-up (until now! I'm almost there!). I've always gotten winded quickly. I want to feel strong and healthy!

Of course, there are other goals that go along with being fit. Like running a mile in under 10 minutes. Doing push-ups and pull-ups un-modified. Keeping my torso up when I squat! Keeping my title as reigning female rower (which will be lasting until this Wed, I'm guessing).

So - welcome to my Crossfit blog! Currently I can Deadlift 172lbs, Press 60lbs, and Clean 80lbs. Let's see where those numbers will be in a month! (My immediate goal is to hit a 200lb deadlift by the New Year!)

2 comments:

Jerry Hill said...

A great intro Cara!

Your progress has been inspiring, I'm excited to see where you'll be by year-end!

Cara said...

Thanks Jerry! I can't wait to see where I'll be!