Thursday, September 4, 2008

Allergic to Rowing?

Today's workout consisted of 4 500m rows, interspersed with rest/ring dips. I worked some ring dips while waiting for a rower, and then attempted to row a PR. I was about 1 second slower than my PR, which was disappointing - but what was disheartening was how I felt after the row.

Now, normally a row smokes me. However, after a minute or so to catch my breath - I feel pretty good, if not a bit tired/sore. Today, though - my throat started hurting, I started coughing, my nose started running, and I kept having to spit (yes, I know, eww). I was literally doubled over coughing in the bathroom. I heard people keep complaining of the air being dry - but even that shouldn't effect me in this way! I was feeling fine before class - sleepy, but that's normal. Jerry asked if I was having an allergic reaction - I've never had one before, so I don't know! I didn't feel capable of rowing again - and was having trouble taking the deep breathes I needed for the ring dips, so I left.

Now, 45min later - although I feel mostly recovered, I'm still coughing a bit, my throat is still off, and my nose still a bit runny. I think it took me about 30 min to feel "okay". I don't know what the hell happened! I'm wondering if I should've tried to row again - maybe taking it easy, and just seeing how I felt. I wonder if warming up would've helped - if going from breathing easy to gasping for breath in under a minute messed with me. I HATE not finishing a WOD - the last time I didn't finish, it was because I had hurt my foot and we were running.

Anyone ever experienced something like this before? I'm determined to come into class tomorrow - and do my best. I'm out of town Sat-Monday, and then the following Friday I leave for an 18 day trip to Europe. I want to get in as much CF as I can before then!!

No comments: