Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Not quite Murph, Deads, and Front Squats

Today Jerry presented us with Murph. I'm still gun-shy about running outside, so I asked if I could sub a row. Jerry suggested that I just hit the 5-10-15 instead.

I got in 15 rounds of the 5-10-15 before I had to leave for work (36:22). The pull-ups and squats were fine, but the push-ups were killing me, I was only getting 2-3 at a time. I'm wishing I had done the express version (3-6-9), because I'm pretty sure I could have gotten in 20 rounds before I had to leave, and in the end it would have been more reps. I guess I got in a good work out, but I'm a bit dissapointed with my output today. One of these days I'll hit Murph Rx

Loved yesterday, though! I was working from home, so I came in to the 5:00 class coached by Andrea. The main circuit was Deadlifts (145lbs w) and Turkish Get-ups (25lbs w). 15-12-9-6-3. I finished in just under 18 minutes. TGUs are always slow for me, but I kept a good pace on the DLs. I haven't masted touch and go yet - my core still needs to get stronger and my breathing better for that, but what I was doing felt good just the same. 25lbs TGUs are fairly heavy for me - a couple of times I almost lost the bell - but I got through them! Afterwards I hit 3 rounds of 20 box jumps and 40 ab-mat situps. Was intending to do 5 rounds, but I kind of just stopped after 3. It was odd - still shaking my head about that one.

Sunday was a lot of fun as well - front squats 3-3-3-3-3. I worked in with Leslie and her husband (who's name escapes me at the moment!). I don't think I'd hit max 3's before on the front squat, so I wasn't sure what to shoot for. I ended up maxing out with 110. I went for 115, but was only able to get one rep in. Once again - it's my core that's holding me back! (Well, that and my form) I think I can actually clean more than I can squat (or it's very close), which is NOT the way it should be! Nothing to do but keep working it, right?

No comments: